Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Hands Down

Do you remember being in elementary school and knowing the answer to a question the teacher had asked? It didn't happen very often to me. But when I did know the answer I would thrust my little hand in the air and wiggle my fingers like they were live snakes. Sometimes I'd even mumble "ooh .. ohh" to enhance my odds of being called on. I was eight years old then .. that was my excuse. Guess what? People still do that today and they are not children. They're fucking adults! At the National Federation of Community Broadcasters Conference in Atlanta, Georgia this past week I saw more hand waving then you'd see at an Abba concert. The first one was pathetic. This guy put his hand up right at the start of the presenters presentation and wouldn't take it down until she called on him. Probably two minutes of hand-raising! Guess what? The son-of-a-bitch did it again! This time it was up and waving for a good four minutes before being called on. I'm staring at this guy the whole time and was trying to understand why he would do that. Was it something that happened in his childhood? Did his parents make him do that at home so he could eat? Was he rejected by girls when he was young? I don't know, maybe he goes to a lot of high-powered auction houses around the world and he bids a lot. This stories not over with. He actually raised his hand again and this time it was the "final four" of hand-raising. You know the one. Your hand is up so long that you actually have to prop your arm up with your free hand. Sort of like a human tripod. You could just read the mind of the presenter, "Not this asshole again! This isn't elementary school .. put down your hand before I rip your head off!" He didn't .. all he wanted to do was make sure everyone knew of the great idea he had during their most recent fundraiser. This was not an isolated incident of hand-raising .. they were everywhere at the conference. I've come to the conclusion that this is one of two things. Either it's a creative way of getting some light exercise or a gross display of narcisism. Keep this in mind the next time you have the urge to raise your hand. Even though it might not sound like it, I really enjoyed the conference. That is until this women's phone wouldn't stop ringing

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its gotta be pretty fcukin rarefied atmosphere at a National Fcukin Federation of Community Broadcasters Conference. They were the same dickheads at 8. Where did you learn to swear? I would like to personally thank Drill Sgt Anderson and that prick Drill Cpl Eichenburger, hope I see you both in Hell, for increasing my vocabulary beyond the basic fcuk, siht, piss, you get the point, during Basic Training at Ft. Campbell Kentucky 30Apr68-6Jul68. I have gone on to complete a fcukin Masters Degree and two Frickin Doctorates at two very prestiges hunting camps which I won't name cuz some asshole will wanna come out. So are we gonna stand around all day or we gonna fcukin ride?
EeeeeeeeeeeZeeeeeeeeeRider